The Inclusive ‘Dyslexia Friendly’ Schools Award in Middle Schools
- To help schools to develop an inclusive ‘dyslexia friendly’ whole school approach in supporting pupils with literacy difficulties,
- To focus on developing inclusive classroom practice as well as intervention,
- To enhance the teaching of all pupils through a consistent multi-sensory approach,
- To encourage the sharing of good practice with other schools within the local authority.
Who is it for?
Middle schools who:
- Have an established partnership with the North Tyneside Dyslexia Team,
- Have received the team’s twilight training in Dyslexia and Literacy Difficulties,
- Have consistent support systems in place to identify and address pupils’ needs,
- Are keen to develop effective links between intervention and classroom practice.
Find out how your school can access the North Tyneside Dyslexia Team's training.
What is the process?
- Schools review their systems and practice in preparation for achieving the entry criteria,
- Once schools begin work on the award they complete whole school and classroom audits and write an action plan,
- A timeline is used to guide schools and further training is provided for the whole school by the Dyslexia Team,
- Support and advice is available from the Dyslexia Team throughout this process,
- Following a successful verification visit and report from the Dyslexia Team, schools will be presented with the award and a plaque to celebrate!