Middle School Level Training
Dyslexia and Literacy Difficulties
This is a two session twilight package for whole school training in Middle schools.
- Raise awareness of the issues commonly experienced by those with dyslexia/persistent literacy difficulties,
- Look at the impact of these difficulties on learning.
Find out how your school can access the North Tyneside Dyslexia Team's training.
Strategies to address pupils’ needs
- Consider support strategies to reduce barriers to learning,
Increase staff confidence in adapting teaching to address pupils’ needs,
- Discuss ways of improving pupils’ knowledge of subject specific vocabulary,
- Explore the use of ICT for gaining access to texts and recording,Outline ways to improve students’ study skills and develop independence,
- Explore ways of developing an inclusive ‘dyslexia friendly’ approach throughout school.
- In addition to the teaching content, practical advice is provided about ways of implementing inclusive strategies across the curriculum.
- The sessions are designed to be interactive with activities and opportunities for discussion.
- School staff will have opportunities to discuss and plan together to consider ways of adapting teaching and learning in their phase or key stage.
- All staff will receive handouts containing key information and strategies to help pupils to access teaching and learning more successfully.